Recipes

Recipe: Lemon & Thyme Syrup Cake

January 14, 2016

Hi all! Would you like to make a unique sponge cake using lemon and thyme? It’s Emma here all the way from Sydney. I am both thrilled and honored (in equal measures) that Holly has invited me to share with you some delicious recipes every month along with her other food writers – you can expect a food story each week on Wednesdays starting in February. My hope is that these recipes inspire you end up in the kitchen making and baking for your family and friends. Christmas just passed and I’m sure with all the entertaining that goes on around this time of year I bet you have eaten way too much! With lots of turkey, potatoes, stuffing a plenty, christmas pudding and sweets galore having been devoured, I have come up with a fresh and light sponge cake for your next gathering or family dessert.

Recipe: Lemon & Thyme Syrup Cake

Doesn’t this look delicious?This Lemon & Thyme Syrup Cake is light, zesty and full of flavor and fresh – a lovely refreshing change after big heavy Christmas meals- you’ll love it! The thyme is so fragrant and works beautifully with the freshness of the lemon. I love serving this cake with an extra drizzle of syrup and greek yogurt, but thick cream or crème fraîche will be delicious too. Here’s the shopping lists and how to…

Recipe: Lemon & Thyme Syrup Cake

CAKE:
2 eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind (1 lemon approx)
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 cup greek low fat yogurt
1 1/4 cup caster sugar
2 cups self raising flour
2 tablespoons thyme leaves

Recipe: Lemon & Thyme Syrup Cake

LEMON SYRUP:
2 tablespoons finely grated lemon rind (2 lemons approx)
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/3 cup lemon juice

THYME SUGAR (optional)
2 table spoons thyme leaves
1/4 cup caster sugar
Extra sprigs of thyme to decorate with

Recipe: Lemon & Thyme Syrup Cake

MAKE:
Preheat oven to 180C. Plaice eggs, oil, lemon rind, lemon juice, vanilla essence, yogurt, sugar and thyme leaves in a bowl and whisk to combine.
Sift in flour and fold in until batter is smooth. Pour into a 20cm greased cake tin and bake for 50 mins or until a skewer comes out clean. Once baked place on a wire rack for ten mins before removing from the cake tin.

Whilst the cake is cooking, to make the syrup, combine sugar, lemon juice and two tablespoons of water in a small saucepan over low heat and cook, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved. Simmer for 3 minutes or until syrup has thickened and then stir in zest then remove from heat. Prick the sponge cake with a skewer all over the top and then pour half of the syrup over the cake so that it soaks into the sponge.

Whilst the cake is cooling, place the thyme and sugar in a pestle and mortar and pound until the thyme leaves have combined and released their oils. Sprinkle sugar over the top of the cake and decorate with some extra sprigs of thyme.

Recipe: Lemon & Thyme Syrup Cake

Recipe: Lemon & Thyme Syrup Cake

Recipe: Lemon & Thyme Syrup Cake

See you again soon with another recipe to make your tummy smile! – Emma. xo

(images/text: Emma Duckworth)

14 Comments

• Reply Patricia Shea January 14, 2016 at 5:19 pm

So elegant – I love cakes drizzled with syrup, and the addition of thyme with the lemon sounds sublime! Thanks for the recipe!

• Reply Linda | The Baker Who Kerns January 14, 2016 at 6:55 pm

What a lovely cake! Looks so moist and crumbly inside! I love the lemon and thyme combo.

• Reply Molly {Dreams in HD} January 14, 2016 at 10:17 pm

This looks absolutely delicious. And what gorgeous photos.
    Welcome Emma :)

Molly {Dreams in HD}

• Reply mari partyka January 18, 2016 at 2:06 am

Thank you, thank you for posting an amazing recipe!

I made this today and want to try substituting thyme with lavender. The thyme is fabulous, but swapping the herb let’s me add this to my regular rotation when entertaining. It was so easy (sometimes dessert can be daunting).

xxoo, Mari

• Reply Harmony and design January 18, 2016 at 2:19 pm

Exquisitez absoluta.Qué rico!!!!!!

• Reply Maria at inredningsvis January 19, 2016 at 1:14 pm

Hi I just found your blog via another site and what a GREAT stylish page you have here :) I Will come back for sure and I wish you a lovely new 2016 dear.

Check out my Swedish decor blog with lots of cute inspiration:)

LOVE Maria Inredning – it’s Swedish for decor

• Reply Eden Passante January 19, 2016 at 11:30 pm

Wow this looks amazing! Love lemon and thyme together!

• Reply mel January 20, 2016 at 12:44 am

Hi Emma, lovely to see you here! This cake looks and sounds delicious. I love the nice twist of adding thyme to it! Mel x

• Reply elena +deco January 20, 2016 at 9:20 pm

It looks delicious. I cook lemon cakes but I have never thought about adding some thyme, I will definitely give it a go.
    Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Chris January 24, 2016 at 2:08 am

Lemon cake, my absolute favorite! It seems so strange, too – who would have thought cake and citrus would make such a perfect combination?

• Reply Nadya @ Airy House January 25, 2016 at 12:16 am

Wow, lemon and thyme! I would never think of such combination.
    I am very keen to try it out – thanks for sharing, Emma :)

• Reply Kristina January 26, 2016 at 1:23 pm

This cake looks very delicious, so i already printed it, only to discover I have one problem with this recipe. I would prefer if you could use grams instead of cups. You can use both, but not just cups. That goes for all the future recipes as well. Thank you!

• Reply Henry January 28, 2016 at 10:14 am

Hi, this is a very interesting recipe with new kind of flavor. I should try it to bake.. and I´ll come back and report ;-)
    Kind regards Henry

• Reply liza March 29, 2016 at 11:59 am

I have already baked this cake and it is wonderful! all of my family loved it.
    Only one question: why at the end “pour half of the syrup”? what about the other half?