DIY, Flowers

DIY: Wreaths With Eucalyptus and Ruscus-Leafed Bamboo

March 5, 2016

Hello dear decor8 readers! My name is Anastasia Benko and I am a stylist, artist and vintage shop owner based in Germany. Holly’s blog has always been a constant source of inspiration to me and I am honored to be part of the amazing team of decor8 now! In my monthly flower column for decor8 I will create seasonally appropriate floral arrangements that will hopefully inspire you to bring the outdoors into your home too!

DIY: Wreaths With Eucalyptus and Ruscus-Leafed Bamboo

Before I share my first arrangement with you, I’d like to tell you a little more about my philosophy. For my arrangements I love to use what my surroundings offer. For me, a house doesn’t feel like a home without flowers and plants! This is also the reason why you always find natural elements in my home, I never come home empty handed from my walks in the nearby forest. I love to challenge myself and try to stick to the changing seasons to reflect the nature of the season. Of course there are occasions where only a lush flower arrangement makes sense but I also think that branches can make a huge impression and almost look like beautifully arranged sculptures.

DIY: Wreaths With Eucalyptus and Ruscus-Leafed Bamboo

After several years of working with flowers and plants I realized that no matter what time of the year, I am always drawn to wreaths. Wreaths have the most perfect form for me, a circle that is connecting one end with another – it’s beautiful but yet complex. This time I wanted to make 2 super-sized wings out of eucalyptus that can be arranged in two different ways: an open half wreath and a more wreath-like, round installation. These are my mood boards I created for the stylings:

DIY: Wreaths With Eucalyptus and Ruscus-Leafed Bamboo

Next, my two wreaths…

DIY: Wreaths With Eucalyptus and Ruscus-Leafed Bamboo

DIY: Wreaths With Eucalyptus and Ruscus-Leafed Bamboo

We are in the middle of a gloomy winter here in Germany and instead of going for an arrangement with a lot of flowers that will fade in a week’s time, I decided to go with a huge wreath that can stay up on the wall for a few weeks. As I can’t change the weather, at least I wanted to change the mood in my studio and I knew, I wanted to go for a fresh look with lots of juicy greens as they add an airy / lively look to every home.

Once you notice it’s not too difficult to make these stunners, you will enjoy them for weeks as you can hang them just like that to freshen up your interiors, use it for a winter wedding backdrop or decorate for a winterly inspired birthday party!

Now, I will show you two different ways to style the wreath and I promise the DIY steps won’t be too difficult! So you can go ahead and try to make this wreath for your home too! The foliage used here looks amazing once it has dried so I went for a lot of eucalyptus and ruscus-leafed bamboo.

DIY: Wreaths With Eucalyptus and Ruscus-Leafed Bamboo

Because I didn’t use a lot of ingredients, I decided to work with scale to create a grand effect!

1. To give the wreath wings a proper form, I attached the branches little by little to huge semi-circle branches.
  2. In the beginning I made sure to stay close to the circle form of the solid branch that made the basis.
  3. I used thin floral wire to attach the branches to one another.
  4. I cut the wire in small pieces because I didn’t want to get too tangled up.
  5. Once you have made the circle form of the wreath wing, you are allowed to get a little messy here: you can attach the branches pointing in every possible direction!
  6. Add some flowers or anything you fancy, for instance in the first wreath I’ve added some seasonal flowers like Dusty Miller, White Cyclamen and Chamelaucium (wax flower).
  7. When finished, I fixed them to the wall with transparent fishing wire.
  8. Note: If you are planning on having these wreaths up for a few days or weeks, you can also attach paper flowers to the wreath.

Kicking perfection to the curb is key here, as this disarrangement will add lots of interesting structure to your wreath! Seriously, don’t work too tidy and you will get a breathtakingly beautiful result!

I hope you liked my wintery arrangement and are inspired to make one yourself! I will see you in a month and please don’t hesitate to drop a comment on your future flower arrangement wishes.To celebrate the beauty of wreaths I even started a challenge called #wreathofthemonth on Instagram. Please share your wreathstacular pieces in the comments section below with a link OR on IG adding #wreathofthemonth #decoratewithflowers.

If you have any questions about these wreaths, please comment so I can answer them. See you on March 21 (Holly’s Birthday!) with another flower idea for you! – Anastasia

(Photography, Styling, Text: Anastasia Benko)

15 Comments

• Reply Anastasia March 5, 2016 at 2:44 pm

A BIG BIG THANK YOU for having me, dear Holly! It was a pleasure working on these and I can’t wait to work on the next column, as flowers begin to grow already ;-)
    Have a great weekend, A. XO

• Reply Stevkah March 5, 2016 at 3:45 pm

Oh how pretty!!!

• Reply Zandra--Little Yellow Couch March 5, 2016 at 3:53 pm

What a lovely new column! And the wreath that looks like two puzzle pieces subpoenaed in mid air… Gorgeous and ethereal!

• Reply fantas-tisch March 6, 2016 at 10:03 am

Liebe Anastasia,
    seitdem ich weiß, dass du hier Kolumnistin wirst,
    freue ich mich auf die Premiere!
    Und was soll ich sagen – deine Bilder sind
    P O E S I E !
    Zu schön, dass ich mich jetzt nicht nur auf IG und
    deinem Blog verzaubern lassen darf!

Herzliche Grüße,
    Anke

• Reply Rasheda March 6, 2016 at 11:11 am

Hello!
    Oh Anastasia I can’t tell you how happy I am for you my dear. This is fantastic news.
    Holly (decor8) was my first blog crush some years back and still is a great inspiration. I just can’t get enough of decor8. It just gets better and better!
    Your wreaths are gorgeous. Love how you entwine leaves and flowers to create such amazing beauty. Your step by step instructions are easy to follow too. Anastasia you will always be queen of wreaths. Looking forward to seeing and reading your flower columns. Wishing you all the best sweetie x

• Reply Nancy Hoskins March 6, 2016 at 11:16 pm

Anastasia,
    As a designer, I appreciate your free-form designs. Too often we can get caught up in formal or overly styled pieces when something simpler may be more dramatic and enhance the space more appropriately. The ruscus you used is Italian ruscus. I enjoy it’s flexibility, as well. Your creativity is fresh and lovely.
    Good work!

• Reply Foxtail and Finch March 8, 2016 at 4:54 pm

This is simply gorgeous! you are incredibly talented and I can’t wait for next months post!

• Reply Martha March 17, 2016 at 9:33 am

Re-constructed wreath, I love the idea. It looks different in such a good way. Thank you for the idea.

• Reply Anastasia March 21, 2016 at 12:46 pm

Thanks so very very much! A. XO

• Reply Anastasia March 21, 2016 at 12:48 pm

Dear Martha, so glad you like it! Have a great day! Anastasia

• Reply Anastasia March 21, 2016 at 12:49 pm

WOW, such a beautiful compliment – I hope you will like the new flower column! <3 A. XO

• Reply Anastasia March 21, 2016 at 12:54 pm

Dear Nancy, thank you so very much for your kind words! SO glad you liked it! ….and the term definition is always helpful as I get all my information from german florists and sometimes its not as easy to translate :-) Best wishes from Germany, A. XO

• Reply Anastasia March 21, 2016 at 1:03 pm

Dearest Rasheda, THANK YOU so much! You’ve been supporting my work from day one and what can I say, this really means so much to me! Decor8 has been my blog crush number 1 too, Holly has an amazing talent, she finds beauty everywhere! So honored to be part of it now, I hope you will enjoy the future columns… Alle the best, A. XO

• Reply Anastasia March 21, 2016 at 1:06 pm

Dear Sandra,
    thank you so very much for your kind words, so happy you like the wreath!
    A. XO

• Reply Anastasia March 21, 2016 at 1:10 pm

Anke, vielen lieben Dank, meine Schöne!
    Look, who’s talkin’ ;-) Das gleiche kann ich dir nur zurück geben! Deine Fotos machen mich immer wieder aufs neue sprachlos! Ich bin so froh Dich hier gefunden zu haben, auf auf zu neuen decorr8 Abenteuern ;-)
    Herzlichen Gruß aus Do, A. XO