Trends

10 Rooms With Plants For Minimalists

July 19, 2016

Let’s talk about plants, baby! I have to admit, the indoor jungle trend is lovely but hasn’t (and won’t) hit my home anytime soon because I’m a total plant minimalist. I like plants but not enough to follow the trend the way some of my friends have. Is there anyone out there who is also like me? You love plants but not a ton of them? In this post, I’m gonna show you 10 rooms that show you how to bring plants into your home without them running the show.

10 Rooms With Plants For Minimalists

1. WINDOWSILL. How simple is this? One barely-there little plant friend on a bedroom windowsill. It’s a sweet addition. It is understated. Stadshem

10 Rooms With Plants For Minimalists

2. OFFICE. Here are some nice plants scattered around yet not overgrowing and overtaking the room. Jose Hevia Photography

10 Rooms With Plants For Minimalists

3. GROUPING. A tiny grouping on a sweet dresser. There but also not there, ya know? Holly Marder Photography + Styling

10 Rooms With Plants For Minimalists

4. ENTRY. One big plant in a basket near the front door. That’s it. Not 30 or 20 or 10. One. Nice. Smitten Studio

10 Rooms With Plants For Minimalists

5. BATHROOM. One big plant, again, it’s the best look for some rooms isn’t it? I like this one propped up on a stool near the tub. Inside Out.

10 Rooms With Plants For Minimalists

6. LIVING ROOM. On a coffee table, on a windowsill, then repeated in the patterns on the sofa cushions. LIKE this. Stadshem

10 Rooms With Plants For Minimalists
7. BOOKSHELF EDIT. Mingle books with greens. Just don’t overdo it. Nicole Franzen Photography

10 Rooms With Plants For Minimalists

8. SMALLISH PLANTS. These little guys scattered around are simple and sweet especially since the room is already very natural and minimalist. It works. They look lovely in the room too because of the gorgeous natural light. Small and scattered. Stadshem

10 Rooms With Plants For Minimalists

9. DINING ROOM. Here is that big focal point plant again. I can’t get enough, I really like this look of having one big boy stealing the show – it’s Magic Mike XXL! Inside Out.

10 Rooms With Plants For Minimalists

10. OVER THE TOP. Okay so I have to throw in what I think is over the top to show you a bit of a contrast to the other images… This is too much greenery for me though it’s a beautiful styled shot for Inside Out magazine in an article they wrote about plants. I would prefer only the wall plants with one on the table and nothing in the green floor jug… Or the focus being on the tabletop and one plant in the background, minus that trellis thing. THAT SAID, it’s still pretty… Inside Out.

How do you use plants at home if you take a less is more approach to indoor gardening like me?

12 Comments

• Reply Renata July 20, 2016 at 3:03 am

I guess I didn’t think about it before but I am a bit like you. I do love plants and I love looking at homes where they have brought the jungle in. But it’s not for me. I have plants in almost every room of the house but they are scattered and mostly small. Whenever I think about getting more I am always careful it wont be too much.

• Reply Delaila July 20, 2016 at 10:08 am

I know you don’t mean to but somehow you often come off as snooty in your blog entries.

• Reply Holly Becker July 20, 2016 at 2:09 pm

Hi Delaila,
      Could it be a language or culture thing? Maybe you can give me an example please? Thank you!

• Reply LadyD (@lady_deirdre) July 20, 2016 at 5:22 pm

I think I know what Delaila means. You sometimes use description like there’s a wrong and a right way to decorate. I.e. “Just don’t overdo it.” “it’s the best look” “overgrowing and overtaking the room”. I don’t really mind it, but I can understand how it can come across as if you disapprove of people who do things differently from you.

• Reply Holly Becker July 20, 2016 at 9:02 pm

Hello LadyD – Well, it’s my blog so of course I’m going to share my opinions here, I think it’s normal right? Just like if you wrote this blog you’d say how you decorate and if people came to you for tips you’d naturally say things like “don’t over do it” if you were giving your own opinion on a decor tip. Try to think about it from my standpoint – I’m an interiors author, I am looked to for opinions on decorating. My way isn’t the only way or the right way, it’s just an opinion, people come here to read and listen and take what they want and leave behind what they don’t. But I have to have opinions and share them or else writing on here for me wouldn’t be so fun anymore. I can’t just write to please everyone or walk on eggshells and say everything so perfectly so I don’t upset or offend someone, I wanna be natural, hope you understand that but if not, at least have fun visiting the blog and try not to take it too seriously – it’s just decorating, right? :)

• LadyD (@lady_deirdre) July 21, 2016 at 6:09 pm

Like I said I don’t mind it! :) It’s just a description of what I think Delaila was referring to. “People come here to read and listen and take what they want and leave behind what they don’t.” That is so true, and you have to stay true to yourself.
            I wish I could be a little more outspoken sometimes, I admire it in my friends but I have the handicap of always seeing things from everyone’s perspective and losing my own…

• Reply LadyD (@lady_deirdre) July 20, 2016 at 12:50 pm

Haha no I’m all about the indoor jungle! These shots are pretty though :)

Loving those graduated grey boxes in the windowsill in the first picture btw! Any idea where they’re from?

• Reply nathan will July 20, 2016 at 11:16 pm

Hi Holly!
    Thanks for sharing your blog.
    I love the look of this place. On the bed, do they have two blankets? one for each, or are my eyes tricking me. Also, do you know where they got the leather lounge chair in their living-room from?

• Reply Aja July 21, 2016 at 10:21 am

Hello! I appreciate your post as I started decorating with plants as a means of filling voids in our new apartment that we haven’t gotten around to furnishing yet. We moved to a new country and started from absolutely nothing so it will take a while before we can fully outfit our new space. Plants have stepped in to beautifully enhance those nooks and crannies and empty spaces. I put up a post on my journal (if you care to see the turnout thus far) but just wanted to share one way in which you can use plants in your space (as an alternative instead of a supplement to decor and furniture). Thanks!

• Reply Holly@homestyletips July 21, 2016 at 6:11 pm

I love how you bring in plants to these spaces. I’m a plant lover so my home is full of them, but I find friends that don’t want many or don’t want a jungle look. These are great examples!

• Reply Emi und die großen Schwestern July 25, 2016 at 11:19 pm

Ich liebe den Dschungel – im Garten, auf dem Balkon, in der Natur über alles, aber in der Wohnung mag ich wenige, geschicktt platzierte hübsche Pflanzen, die wie kleine Dekoobjekte wirken. Auf den Bildern sind sehr hübsche Beispiele, die ich wirklich sehr gerne mag!

• Reply Angee K Gomez January 24, 2017 at 5:23 am

Quite an inspirational entry! As I try to become more minimalist when it comes to home decoration and making spaces as organic and natural as possible, I bump into your blog entry. I really like the balance that some green adds to mostly white furniture as well as the relaxed environment it creates. In my opinion, each space becomes more comfortable and relaxing just by adding some plants, which exemplifies how a simple touch can give certain power to a space.

Each space gains in size as the balance of color and material make it feel more spacious and natural (sort of outdoors in a limited space) In addition, the natural touch of using plants make the space more welcoming and organic without overdoing the use of plants.

Overall, I really enjoy the mixture of materials along with plants and how the sum of all props makes the space balanced. The color choice also makes each room to look quite clear and how it embraces natural light.